How to help: Northern California wildfire relief

5-year-old girl forced to drink 2 liters of soda dies, couple charged

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TENNESSEE — A Tennessee father and stepmother have reportedly been charged with murder after police say a 5-year-old girl died after being forced to drink two liters of grape soda and water as a sort of disciplinary action.

WGN reports that Randall and Mary Vaughn are scheduled to appear in court Friday, and WGN reports the couple forced the girl to drink the fluids in less than two hours as punishment after the child took a sip of her stepmother’s beverage.

Alexa Linboom, 5, reportedly died in January 2012 and the charges come after a lengthy investigation. Doctors said massive amount of fluids caused her brain to swell and rupture.

Click here for more on this story from WGN.

14 comments

  • Victoria Wyasket

    What a horrible way to die! This poor child died because of a step mother, complaining to her father, who was not man enough to stand up to his wife. I hope they are sent to prison for their actions

  • Brittany Lee

    So sad! That is a horrible way to discipline your child. I’m sure they never imagined that it would end in such a tragic way. I don’t believe they would have done it of they knew it would end her life, however this is a prime example of why you should think before you act. This was a dumb way to punish. Parents need to attempt to find a positive way to teach a lesson rather than something that can have no good outcome. A video on what soda does to your body, a time out, a lecture, even grounding would have been a better approach. It’s a tragedy that this sweet child had to lose her life because of her parents stupidity and lack of judgment.

    • karen wade

      QUOTE . I’m sure they never imagined that it would end in such a tragic way. I don’t believe they would have done it of they knew it would end her life,…………..THEY SHOULD BE HUNG UP AND STONED ITS COMMON SENSE TO KNOW A WHOLE 2LITRE OF SODA AT ONE SITTING IS NOT BE GOOD FOR ANYBODY… these people are human waste

Comments are closed.