❄️ Winter Storm Alert ❄️ Snow storm to impact travel Sunday, Monday

Fluid leak forces evacuation at Ogden elementary school

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OGDEN, Utah -- Students and teachers at St. Joseph Elementary School in Ogden were evacuated Wednesday after reports of a natural gas smell in the building.

Ogden firefighters said the incident happened at 8:23 when 10 students reported feeling ill, and school officials reported a natural gas smell inside the school.

Fire crews said after investigating, they found that the smell was caused by a car that had transmission issues, and had leaked transmission fluid and oil on the street.

Crews evacuated the school as a precaution, and firefighters used air monitoring devices to detect carbon monoxide or natural gas. No presence of carbon monoxide or natural gas was found within the school.

Fire officials said after ventilating the school, all children and teachers were allowed back in. The 10 children who were feeling ill were treated at the scene.

The oil and transmission fluid was contained and cleaned up by the Ogden City Fire Department Hazardous Materials Team.