Family displaced after South Jordan 2-alarm house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SOUTH JORDAN, Utah -- A family is displaced after their South Jordan home caught  fire Wednesday morning.

The two alarm fire started in a home near 9466 South and 2500 West around 9:30 a.m.

South Jordan Battalion Chief Wayne Edginton said a neighbor reported seeing smoke coming from the home, and was worried that someone was trapped inside

"We had a response of about five engines and two ambulances," Edginton said. "On the way we heard that there might have been a possibly trapped victim inside."

Once on scene, Edginton said they found that all occupants of the home had been safely evacuated.

Crews were able to extinguish the fire quickly before it spread to other homes.

Investigators said they suspect the fire may have ignited when the homeowner threw away ashes from a fireplace into a garbage can.

Damage is estimated at about $20,000.

FOX 13 will update with more details as soon as they become available.