Halloween Bloodshot Eyeballs (10.28.13)
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup(s) low fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoon(s) smooth taco sauce or hot sauce (no chunks)
- 2 teaspoon(s) chili powder or taco seasoning
- 1 large avocado (or 1 1/2 small)
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 4 medium pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced
- Kosher salt and Pepper, to taste
Place the eggs in a large saucepan, add enough cold water to reach 2 inches above submerged eggs, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover the saucepan and let stand for 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, taco sauce and chili powder or taco seasoning. Place in a pastry bag fitted with a fine writing tip.
In a second small bowl, mash the avocado with the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag and cut off the tip to create a 1/2-in. opening.
Drain the eggs and return them to the saucepan. Gently shake the saucepan to crack the eggs all over. Run under cold water to cool, then peel the eggs. Cut the eggs in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks and save for another use.
Using the sour cream mixture, pipe thin squiggly lines on each egg white half so they resemble bloodshot eyes. Pipe the avocado mixture into each white and place a slice of olive on top.