6 taken to hospital, apartments evacuated after elevated CO levels discovered

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KEARNS, Utah — A mother and five children were taken to a hospital and five apartments were evacuated after firefighters found elevated levels of carbon monoxide.

Unified Fire Authority personnel responded to a call from a Kearns residence near 5000 West and 4850 South.

Capt. Clint Mecham, Unified Fire Authority, said a mother had called and said one of her children had a headache and felt nauseated. When firefighters arrived, they found dangerous levels of CO in the apartment. They evacuated the mother and children and treated them at the scene before taking them to a hospital in case of complications.

Four neighboring apartments were evacuated after firefighters found elevated levels of CO inside. Mecham said no one lost consciousness or suffered life-threatening injuries.

Unified Fire Authority officials later said a malfunctioning water heater was the cause of the gas leak.