How to help: Northern California wildfire relief

Man dies from CO poisoning at Bear Lake

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BEAR LAKE, Utah – A man died of carbon monoxide poisoning while boating at Bear Lake Saturday night.

Rich County Sheriff’s Office officials said dispatch received a 911 call about a 22-year-old male with possible heat stroke just after 7 p.m.

Rich County Sheriff’s deputies, Rich County EMS, Bear Lake State Parks officers and Airmed responded and found people on the scene had already begun CPR on the victim. The victim was removed from the boat and EMS personnel provided care.

Emergence responders offered aid for about an hour, but despite all efforts the victim was pronounced dead at the scene at 8:32 p.m.

The victim’s name has not been released. It was initially believed hot weather may have contributed to the man’s death, but the Utah State Medical Examiner’s office later concluded the man died from CO poisoning. The incident is still being investigated.

We will have more information as it becomes available.