Ricotta and Edamame Toasts (05.30.13)
by Jennifer Burns, Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen shelled sweet soybeans (edamame)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh basil or mint, torn
- 24 1/4 – 1/2inches whole grain baguette-style French bread slices, toasted
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- No Salt Seasoning and Pepper, to taste
Preheat broiler. In a small saucepan cook peas and edamame in boiling water about 8 minutes or until very tender; drain. Transfer to a food processor. Add lemon juice, no salt seasoning and pepper. Cover and process until smooth, stopping and scraping down sides as necessary. Transfer mixture to a small bowl.
In the same saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir about 1 minute or until tender. Stir garlic mixture and basil into pureed edamame mixture.
To assemble, spread toasted baguette slices with ricotta cheese. Arrange on a baking sheet. Broil about 4 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until ricotta is warm. Sprinkle with no salt seasoning and pepper. Serve ricotta toasts with pureed edamame mixture.