Chopped Salad with Bacon and Toasted Garbanzo Beans (04.08.13)
by Jennifer Burns, Dan’s Market
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, trimmed and sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved or 1 large tomato diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1/3 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garbanzo beans, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, stirring often, until crisp and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside.
Carefully discard oil in skillet and wipe clean. Return skillet to medium heat, add bacon, and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp, 7 to 8 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. When cool enough to handle, crumble into small pieces.
In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and cheese, tossing gently to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, basil, oregano, garlic, shallot, mustard, remaining oil, salt and pepper. Add the toasted beans, bacon and dressing. Mix well. Serve immediately.