Family displaced as fire destroys Orem home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OREM, Utah - A family of eight was displaced after a house fire in Orem on Thursday morning.

The home is located at 973 South 190 West, which is a couple of blocks east of the Utah Valley University campus. The fire started at approximately 6 a.m.

The roof of the home collapsed because of the fire. Officials said it is likely a total loss. They have not released an estimated on the damages.

"We've lived in that house since the 1940's. My grandpa helped build that house," said Jacob Bushman, who lived in the home.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental.

"We are thinking it might have been a candle burning, but our fire investigators have not been able to get inside yet," said Craig Martinez, Orem Public Safety.

Martinez said there were no injuries reported as a result of the fire. 

The American Red Cross is offering assistance to the displaced family.

"I left my wallet and my money, everything I own in there. The only thing I grabbed was this jacket and that was outside in the car," Bushman said.