6 arrested for vandalizing more than 90 cars during BB gun spree
SALT LAKE CITY — More than 90 cars had their windows shot out by BB guns during a vandalism spree that began Friday around 10 p.m.
The suspects allegedly vandalized cars in West Jordan, Kearns and West Valley City, but witnesses were able to describe the suspects’ vehicles well enough for police to make some arrests.
Six males, two adults and four juveniles, were arrested. The juvenile suspects have been booked into a detention facility. The adults, 18-year-old Curtis Ellefsen and 19-year-old Ricardo Vega, were booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on felony charges.
Detective Ken Hansen of the Unified Police Department said the high-value damages made the charges against the suspects more severe.
“Because the damage is estimated to be at about $50,000, it’s felony charges just because of the significant amount of damage,” he said.
Police said restitution for the damages may be possible through the court system, but that will take time, so victims are on their own to cover the cost of repairs for now.
Police said they don’t think any particular place or person was being targeted by the suspects. They said it seemed the vandals would just shoot several cars in one street and then drive a few miles away to repeat the process.
- Traffic moving again after hundreds were stuck in Virgin River Gorge
- Video: Sandy Hook victim's mother shares emotional message: "Evil did not win"
- Video: Jazz Bear gets revenge on fan who poured beer over his head
- Video: Hilarious compilation of dogs too terrified to pass cats
- Victim in fatal snowmobile accident was stationed at Hill Air Force Base