LDS church reducing workforce in two departments
SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints announced Wednesday it is laying off some of its employees.
In an email to Fox 13 News Church spokesperson Michael Purdy said it is a planned reduction in workforce that primarily impacts the publishing services department and information communication systems department. He said the action was motivated by a need to be sure resources are being, “used wisely to meet the evolving needs of a global church.”
Purdy said they are sensitive to the impact the move will have.
“While the number of people affected by this reduction is relatively small, we are keenly aware that behind the numbers are individuals and families,” he said. “We are offering a substantial severance package to those impacted by these changes and will work to help these individuals find other employment.”
Purdy said the reduction comprises between 5 and 8 percent of the two departments’ workforce.
- Mom gives bullying daughter a unique punishment
- Oklahoma tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble [VIDEO]
- Thrift shop clothes punishment for bullying tween gets mixed reviews
- Teen featured in viral video dies-- leaves incredible message behind
- Viral music video laments lowered LDS missionary age