La Caille Spinach and Brie Cheese Stuffing with Artichoke Hearts (01.18.13)
by Chef Ryan Murray, La Caille
- 1 stick unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can marinated artichoke hearts (drained from liquid)
- 2 cups chopped onions (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup chopped celery (4 to 5 stalks)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 5-ounce container or bag fresh baby spinach leaves
- 6 cups (generous) 1-inch cubes day-old croissants or ciabatta bread with crust (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth (Vegetable stock can be substituted).
- 6 ounces brie cheese
Melt 1/2 stick butter with olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add artichokes and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté until artichokes are tender and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer artichokes to large bowl.
Melt remaining 1/2 stick butter in same skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Add all herbs; sauté 1 minute longer. Add spinach and toss until just wilted, about 1 minute. Add vegetable mixture to bowl with artichokes. (DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover, and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide bread between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake until bread is crusty but not hard, reversing sheets after 5 minutes, 10 to 12 minutes total. Transfer to very large bowl and cool.
Butter 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Stir vegetable mixture into bread. Whisk egg, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend well; whisk in 3/4 cup broth. Add egg mixture to stuffing, tossing to combine evenly and add brie cheese. Transfer stuffing to prepared dish.
Bake stuffing uncovered until cooked through and brown and crusty on top, 50 to 60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Video: Sandy Hook victim's mother shares emotional message: "Evil did not win"
- Rock slide leaves 2 people dead inside house in Rockville
- Video: Girl surprises deaf parents with sign language during program
- Man found frozen to death in South Salt Lake identified
- Another push for Mormon women to wear pants to church