More than 500 donors participate in Reach Out Utah Holiday Blood Drive
SALT LAKE CITY — FOX 13 and the American Red Cross teamed up once again for the 13th Annual Reach Out Utah Holiday Blood Drive.
The goal of 500 donors was exceeded by five people. Each donor has the potential of providing blood to three patients in need.
“Every year gets a little bit bigger and this year, I think, has really been our best year because our donor flow has been really good,” said Julia Wulf, CEO of the American Red Cross Lewis and Clark Region.
The demand for blood is higher during the holiday season as donations are typically reduced during this time of year.
“This is great because it makes you feel that everyone really does care and wants to help out. And, you know, every little bit does help,” said Matt Thompson, American Red Cross phlebotomist.
In Utah, someone needs blood every eight minutes. Since blood has a limited shelf life, the community blood supply must constantly be replenished to meet patients’ needs.
- Video: Jazz Bear gets revenge on fan who poured beer over his head
- Video: Sandy Hook victim's mother shares emotional message: "Evil did not win"
- Traffic is slowly moving in Virgin River Gorge, officials say
- Video: Hilarious compilation of dogs too terrified to pass cats
- Teen dies after medical emergency on flight