Stove Top Crème Brulee (12.07.12)
by Ryan Murray, La Caille
- 4 cups of cream
- 15 egg yolks
- Sugar 1 1/4 cup
- Vanilla bean, split and scraped (extract is also fine)
- Pinch of salt
1. Warm cream and vanilla bean on low-medium heat, you want the cream hot, however, do not scald.
2. Remove cream from stove.
3. Mix together sugar and yolk. DO NOT mix sugar and yolk together until you are ready to use them. Sugar burns the yolk, creating holes, which will result in uneven setting of the custard.
4. Temper in the warm cream, adding the cream about 1/4 cup at a time.
5. Cook on stove top at low heat until a meat thermometer or candy thermometer reaches 184 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from heat.
6. Strain. Pour into large baking dish or into 4 individual ramekins.
7. Allow about 2 hours for them to set. When you are ready for them, add 2 T sugar on top and melt with blowtorch.