Somalian community volunteer accused of rape
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — A man who was a volunteer in a local Somalian community was arrested Tuesday after he was accused of rape.
Hashim Mohamed Abdi, 26, faces a first-degree felony rape charge. The alleged victim told police that Abdi raped her on two occasions between June and October 2012.
The alleged victim said Abdi provided her with rides to and from community programs that she participated in. On one such occasion, Abdi allegedly stopped at an unknown park, got in the back seat, removed the victim’s pants and raped her.
The victim said a similar incident occurred at a different park after Abdi gave her a ride to a job interview at Walmart.
West Valley City police arrested Abdi. He was booked into the Salt Lake County Metro Jail, where he remains on a $250,000 bond.
- Police: Utah woman gave birth to, killed 6 infants in 10-year span
- Photos: 'Blood Moon' Lunar Eclipse (April 2014)
- Boyfriend, neighbors speak about woman accused of killing six newborns
- VIDEO: Simon Cowell apologizes to 79-year-old dancing dynamo
- Pedestrian hit, killed by FrontRunner train, police say