Sweet Surprise Truffles (shhh..it’s Sweet Potatoes) (11.26.12)
By Charity Lighten, WholeFoodMommies.com
- 1 cup sweet potatoes*
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (I used unrefined, but refined would work well too if you don’t like as much of a coconut flavor)
- 3 Tbs Arrowroot Starch (cornstarch would work fine too)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 cup oat flour (simply put 1/4 cup rolled oats into a blender or food processor
- 1/4 cup palm sugar or other sweetener
- 1/2 cup Almond milk or other dairy alternative
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate of your choice, melted (I used 60% dark chocolate)
In a food processor, combine the sweet potatoes, starch, coconut oil, vanilla and maple syrup. Blend until smooth. In a small sauce pan, combine the oat flour, palm sugar, milk and salt. Cook over medium heat until it bubbles and then simmer over low heat, stirring frequently until the mixture thickens (which won’t take long).
Add the hot mixture directly into the the food processor and blend until smooth. (Optional, I also added about 1/4 cup of Almond pulp that I had leftover from making the Almond Milk). The mixture will still be fairly runny.
*We had baked sweet potatoes/yams for dinner the night before. I usually make a few extras and just store them still wrapped in their tin foil in the fridge. For this recipe I cut a large on in half and scooped out 1 cup of the flesh. Scoop out about 1 TBS onto wax paper and put in the freezer for 20 minutes or until the filling is firm enough to roll into balls.
Remove from the freezer, and using your hands, roll each “lump” into a ball shaped form.
Then return to the freezer for at least one hour. Then dip each ball into the melted chocolate. The frozen filling will help the chocolate set up quite quickly. Refrigerate whatever doesn’t get eaten immediately Enjoy!
For information on Thanksgiving Point’s cooking classes taught by Charity Lighten at Emporium, visit www.thanksgivingpoint.org.
- Video: Jazz Bear gets revenge on fan who poured beer over his head
- Utah ranked worst state for drinking
- Convicted murderer Martin MacNeill attempts suicide in jail
- Video: Sandy Hook victim's mother shares emotional message: "Evil did not win"
- Nearly all of Utah under winter storm warning or winter weather advisory