SLCC Culinary Club recipes
Big Budah was at the Salt Lake Community College Culinary Club on Wednesday. Below are the recipes featured throughout the morning on Good Day Utah.
Leftover Turkey Pot Pie
- 1 Pre made, refrigerated/frozen 9 inch pie crust with a top and bottom crust, soften as directed on box
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced up potatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- 1.5 cups leftover gravy
- 2 cups shredded leftover turkey
- 1 cup frozen peas
Heat oven to 425°F. Make pie crusts as directed on box, use 9-inch pie plate and set on a sheet pan.
In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, salt and pepper; cook until onions start to become clear and soft. Add carrots, celery, and potatoes, cook until carrots start to soften.
Slowly stir in gravy, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened. You can add some chicken broth or milk to the filling if the consistency is too thick.
Stir in turkey and frozen peas. Remove from heat.
Spoon into pre-made pie crust.
Top with second crust; seal edge and flute.
Cut slits in several places in top crust for ventilation.
Place filled pie, with sheet pan underneath, into oven.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
During last 15 minutes of baking, cover the edges of the crust with foil so that the edges do not burn.
Let the pie rest and cool down before serving.
*If you have leftover pot pie filling, add more chicken broth to turn it into a hearty stew!
Enjoy your leftovers!
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms
- 2 packages of button mushrooms
- -Pull stems out of mushrooms, and chop up stems to mix in with filling
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Daisy Brand Sour Cream
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 package frozen or fresh spinach
- -Frozen; thaw, drain excess water, and pat dry
- -Fresh; heat up leaves in a sauté pan on medium-high heat until wilted
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Salt and Pepper
In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese and sour cream. Stir in the artichokes, spinach, chopped mushroom stems, half of Parmesan cheese, garlic, and salt and pepper.
Fill each mushroom cap with about 1 tablespoon of filling or as much as you can possibly stuff in them! Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Place on foil-lined baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- 1-1/4 cups warm milk
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
1. Pour milk into a large mixing bowl, and sprinkle yeast over the surface. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. Beat in the sugar, eggs, 1/2 cup butter, and salt; blend thoroughly. Gradually stir in the flour to make a soft dough. Knead dough until it bounces back when touched, form in to a ball. Place dough ball in a bowl, rub oil on the dough, cover bowl, and set in a warm place until dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
2. Punch down the dough, cover the bowl, and allow to rise again. Repeat this step two more times.
3. Break off 2 to 3 inch size pieces of dough, roll lightly into round shape, and place in prepared baking dish, edges touching. Repeat to make 36 dough balls. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
5. Bake rolls in preheated oven until tops turn golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. When rolls are finished baking, drizzle melted butter over the top, and serve warm.
(Optional tip) If you don’t want your rolls to have a hard top, brush a little milk on them right after you pull them out of the oven before you drizzle the melted butter.
- 1 sm. Package of Salami
- 1 8 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1 sm. Jar Baby Dill Pickles
Slice pickles and cream cheese into desired thickness. Take a piece of salami, add slice of cream cheese and a pickle, role up and insert toothpick. Continue until all done.
- Innards from turkey (optional)
- Turkey drippings
- Buerre Manie (as needed)
- Salt, TT
1. Put turkey drippings and innards in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer.
2. Gradually add Buerre Manie in small pieces and whisk continuesly until desired thickness of gravy is reached.
3. After you get your gravy to the perfect thickness, strain it through a china cap to remove innards, taste and adjust seasonings.
Sweet Potato Mash
- 6 Sweet Potatoes, peeled & cubed
- ¾ cup Heavy Cream or Milk
- ½ cup Butter, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar or ¼ cup maple syrup, to taste
- 1 Tbs. Chile powder
- 2 tsp. Cumin, ground
- 1 tsp. Ginger, ground
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
With an electric mixer on low, blend potatoes, add butter and blend until incorporated. Slowly add milk until desired texture. Add brown sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm
For Vegan or Gluten Free:
Substitute non-dairy (soy) milk for heavy cream or leave out
Butter, leave out.
Green bean salad
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place green beans in a large saucepan. Fill with enough water to cover green beans, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 10 minutes. Drain, and let cool.
2. In a bowl, stir together shallots, garlic, balsamic vinegar, cherry tomatoes, lemon juice, sugar, and oil. Pour over green beans. Cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Take out of refrigerator and sprinkle on Parmesan and slivered almonds on top before serving.
This is a basic green sauce that can be used for anything you want. You can use it for Chile Verde, over eggs in the morning, on tacos, or on tostadas, For dipping the uses are endless.
This makes enough for 8-10 people
- 24 Tomatillos, Remove leaves and rinse
- 6-10 Serrano Peppers, Stems off
- 1 Cilantro Bunch
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves/ Peeled
- 2-3 Limes, Cut in halves
- 1/2-1 Cup of Shredded cheese, can be any cheese you like
- 1 Onion, peeled and quartered
- Salt To taste
First you need to boil the tomatillos, Serrano peppers, garlic and onion. Boil until the tomatillos are soft then remove from the stovetop.
In a blender add all the boiled ingredients along with the bunch of cilantro, squeeze lime juice in and add salt to taste and pulse until desired consistency.
It’s Ready to use!!
Inside the Tortilla:
Left over turkey, shredded or cut up
Pre-made green sauce from above
Take the tortillas and warm them up how you like so they are soft.
Get your left over turkey, cut or shred it up and put in the center of the tortilla along with some shredded cheese and a small amount of the green sauce.
Roll the tortilla up and set in a baking dish.
Then pour more of the green sauce all over the rolled enchiladas. Sprinkle some cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes then serve.
Serve with any side dish of your choice.
Maple Syrup Sauce
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
Place maple syrup, cream and butter in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil on low heat and continue boiling, stirring for a couple of minutes.
- 1 Package Phyllo dough (16oz. or 1lb)
- 2 sticks butter, unsalted (1 cup or 1/4lb.)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups feta cheese (crumbled)
- 2 cups cooked spinach
- ½ cup pine nuts roasted
In a microwave (or stove top) melt the butter and place aside. In a mixing bowl add your shredded mozzarella, Feta cheese, cooked spinach and roasted pine nuts and mix until ingredients are incorporated.
In a separate mixing bowl, add your milk and egg, then beat or whisk them together. Open up your package of Phyllo dough and unroll the dough. Separate the Phyllo dough into 2 portions. (Keep a damp towel over the sheets in-between uses).
Take your 12×18-baking sheet and using a pastry brush, dip it into the butter and brush the bottom of the baking sheet, lightly covering the surface all over. Now take 2-3 Phyllo sheets and place them down flat in the baking sheet. Lightly butter that layer and add 2-3 more sheets on top. You will continue this pattern until your first ½ of the package is all used.
Next you will spread your cheese and spinach mixture evenly on top of the layers in the pan. (This will be the filling). Now you will begin adding the second half of the Phyllo dough on top of your filling, layering 2-3 sheets, then buttering and repeating this pattern until you have used all the remaining Phyllo dough.
With a sharp knife, cut the finished burek into 3 inch squares. Take your milk and egg mixture and evenly pour it on top of the burek until it is evenly distributed. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Bake your burek until the top is a golden brown color. Take out of oven, let cool for 5-10 min. and serve.
Brussel Sprout Salad
This makes 4 servings
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Orange
- 1 Large Shallot, Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Olive oil
- 4 Slices of Bacon, Chopped
- 24 Brussel Sprouts, Quartered
- 1/2 Cup Almonds, Slivered and toasted
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Finely Grated
In a pan brown the bacon until crispy and remove from pan to cool. Add Lemon and Orange Juice in a bowl along with the chopped shallots.
Add olive oil in a steady stream whisking as you do to create an emulsion this will be your dressing.
On the stovetop bring water to a boil, add the quartered sprouts for 4-5 minutes until the leaves are dark green and the center is tender, remove them and place them in a bowl with ice and water.
Add all ingredients in a bowl toss with dressing and serve. It is meant to be served at room temperature but if you wish to serve warm it also works.
Serve and Enjoy!!!
Caramelized Apples Pavlova
Place a disc of meringue on a plate, pipe whipped cream on it, spoon apples on the cream, cover with another disc of meringue, dust top with powdered sugar.
- 8oz. Egg Whites
- 1 lb. Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
Whip egg whites to stiff peaks, and then add slowly sugar and vanilla.
Pipe meringue in disks and bake at 300 F for about 1 hour-1 hour and ½.
Meringues should be dry inside but still soft inside.
Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
Whipped Cream Directions:
Whip cream until almost stiff. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until cream holds peaks.
Caramelized Apples Ingredients:
- ¾ stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 5 large Golden Delicious or Fuji apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 3 tablespoons (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoon apple cider powder
Caramelized Apples Directions:
Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When the foam starts, toss in the apple slices and cook about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the apples with the sugar and the apple cider powder and cook them, turning occasionally until they are golden brown. Scrape the apples onto a plate and let cool.
Maple Panna Cotta
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Milk
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 1 pinch of salt
- 8 sheets gelatin (2gr. each)
Cook milk, cream, syrup, salt and vanilla on low heat.
Bring to 185 F.
Soften gelatin sheets in cold water, squeeze to eliminate excess water and add to the hot mixture.
Pour in molds and refrigerate for at least for two hours.
- 6 lb Turkey
- 1/4 cup butter
- Salt, TT
- Butcher’s Twine
- Turkey size oven bag
- Brine solution (0.5 oz. salt per 16 fl. oz of water. and any seasonings you want)
- Big ziplock bag, or any food grade bag big enough to fit a 6 lb turkey & brine.
1. Remove innards and place turkey in the big bag with brine, and let it sit for a few hours or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Rinse turkey on inside and out. Pat dry with a paper towel.
4. Truss turkey, then place in oven bag. Place the turkey in a roasting pan.
5. Before you close the oven bag, butter the outside of the turkey. Then close the bag. Cut a few slits in the oven bag to vent some of the steam.
6. Cook turkey at 400 degrees for 20 minutes to bring up the temperature, then cook at 275 degrees for 1 to 2 hours, and internal temperature is 165 degrees.
7. Let turkey sit for 20 minutes.
8. Use the turkey juices and drippings for turkey gravy.
- 4 oz. Pecans
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Egg White ( from a small egg)
- 1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1 Pinch of salt
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and bake at 300F, turning every few minutes for about 25 minutes.
- 12OZ. Fresh Cranberries
- 2 oranges, juiced = ¼ cup
- 1 white onion diced small
- 2 jalapenos minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced small
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 small bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
In a pot, add the cranberries, orange juice, lemon juice, water, white sugar, vinegar and boil until the cranberries pop and are very tender. Turn off the heat and let rest.
In a separate frying pan, add the minced jalapeno peppers, red peppers, white onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Take off heat and combine your sautéed ingredients with your cranberry sauce, add the cilantro, and mix everything together. Serve warm or cold.
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 (2 to 3 pound) butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. In large pot melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add squash and enough stock to cover squash, use water if you use all the stock and need more liquid. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Put broth and squash into blender/food processor and pulse, add milk and cream, blend to desired consistency and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Adjust the amount of milk and cream to the desired consistency you prefer. Serve.
- Video: Sandy Hook victim's mother shares emotional message: "Evil did not win"
- Rock slide leaves 2 people dead inside house in Rockville
- Video: Girl surprises deaf parents with sign language during program
- Man found frozen to death in South Salt Lake identified
- 2 dead after head-on collision near Axtell