Venison Tournedos with Tomato Gastrique (10.19.12)
by Ryan Murray, La Caille
- 3/4-cup red-wine vinegar
- 6 oz fire roasted canned tomatoes (can use fresh)
- 1 Whole Garlic Clove Minced
- 1 Small Shallot Minced
- 1/4-teaspoon salt and Black Pepper (to Taste)
- 1 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
- Eight 1 1/2-inch-thick center-cut boneless Venison loin (also called tournedos, about 4 ounces each)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Tomato gastrique: In a small saucepan simmer vinegar, garlic, and shallots until reduced to about 2 tablespoons, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk in canned tomatoes, chopped Fresh rosemary, salt and Pepper, simmer for 5 min. Puree with a hand blender or conventional blender until smooth, and keep warm and covered.
Season Venison with pepper and salt.
In a 10 or 12-inch heavy skillet melt butter or olive oil over moderately high heat until foam subsides and sauté Venison until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. let Venison rest (uncovered) over low heat for 3-5 min.
Divide gastrique among 6 plates and top with pork and salsa.
Serve with Rice Pilaf or Roasted Potatoes and fresh vegetables