Family falls sick after moving into former meth house

WEST VALLEY CITY — The joy of home ownership was quickly over after a couple learned the house they bought was making them ill.

The newly purchased home on 3800 South and 3800 West in West Valley City became one family’s deathtrap after they all fell sick within weeks of moving in. They later learned they were in a meth house.

Lynette Harms and her fiance bought the home last fall. She learned that the walls were soaked with toxic fumes from the previous owner’s meth fumes.

“It’s been horrible, we’ve been paying for it. We’ve been paying for it since the first of October,” said Harms.

But thanks to a community organization through Habitat for Humanity, the home was restored to its proper state again, ready for the family to move back.

“The expenses have been so great, it’s unreal. To have Habitat come in and help us with all this has been a miracle,” said Harms.

Habitat for Humanity learned about the couple, who were still required to pay a mortgage on a home they could not live in and did not have the money to renovate the house.

“I was just in awe because someone was willing to step up and help us,” said homeowner Josh Bace.

Rick Mottes is one of the volunteers who helped the couple paint, re-carpet and ultimately bring the house up to a livable condition.

“It actually feels good, it feels very good,” said Mottes. “Don’t get the opportunity to do this very much.”

The family plans to have their home ready by next week.

The Utah Department of Health lists homes and address that have been contaminated with meth, however not all homes get reported.

The health department says residents can buy a home testing kit at a local hardware store and do their own air sample that can be sent to a lab. It runs about $100. They can also pay several hundred dollars for a professional inspector. See more information from the health department’s web page.



Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,261 other followers