Republicans preparing for state Caucuses
SALT LAKE CITY — Republicans from across the state of Utah will be meeting Thursday night in hopes of garnering support for their candidates and causes.
One of the biggest groups expected at the caucuses Thursday is FreedomWorks, a national group that promotes lower taxes and smaller government. The group wants conservative purity and say longtime US Senator Orrin Hatch doesn’t meet that standard.
FreedomWorks has garnered scrutiny for some of their training materials, including an email with what opponents called questionable strategies.
One training email includes a tip suggesting members:
“Get nominated for a leadership role. If you want, you can withdraw your name in a spirit of wanting to give everyone a chance to be involved and tell the group that you really want to be a state delegate. This one is tricky so feel it out…”
Education First Utah will also be present in hopes of getting more funding and better support of Utah’s schools and increasing accountability in Utah.
For more information and locations of the Utah GOP Caucuses, visit utgop.org.
- Video: Sandy Hook victim's mother shares emotional message: "Evil did not win"
- Rock slide leaves 2 people dead inside house in Rockville
- Video: Girl surprises deaf parents with sign language during program
- Man found frozen to death in South Salt Lake identified
- 2 dead after head-on collision near Axtell