New LDS food pantry ‘Bishop’s Central Storehouse’ opens
The new Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Bishop’s Central Storehouse was officially opened Thursday in Salt Lake City.
The new building, located at 5405 West 300 South, is a 570,000 square foot state-of-the art structure said to be not only beautiful but environmentally functional.
“We try to make sure that we consider all elements of energy efficiency. Our lighting in here is controlled so that in a work area, if you’re working there, the lights will come on, if you’re not working, it will go off,” said Don Johnson from the church’s welfare system.
The building is said to also be earthquake resistant — supposedly able to withstand a 7.0 level earthquake, according to Johnson.
The facility has 43 loading docks and can handle up to 70,000 pallets of product.
The building will store perishable food products to help supplement individuals and families in need, whether they are church members or not.
The storehouse is almost entirely run by volunteers.
- Police: Utah woman gave birth to, killed 6 infants in 10-year span
- Photos: 'Blood Moon' Lunar Eclipse (April 2014)
- Boyfriend, neighbors speak about woman accused of killing six newborns
- VIDEO: Simon Cowell apologizes to 79-year-old dancing dynamo
- Pedestrian hit, killed by FrontRunner train, police say